I’m a proud Fashion DIY FREAK… oh yes I said it. I love fashion DIY, I always carry a sewing kit in my bag, that is just how much sewing means to me.
The DIY saga began when I was a youngster and fashion became part of my life. I got my first sewing machine from my favourite person in the world “MY MOTHER”. My mother is also a DIY lover but I guess she never really had the time for small sewing projects but she would sew a button there and there and mend those torn pants, you know the little things that mothers do.
One thing I have to give her credit for is her love for reading. She invested her money in a lot of sewing patterns and sewing books. *thank god* Cause those books and patterns helped me learn how to sew.
I’m a self proclaimed Fashion DD (DIY DESIGNER)
I have listed the most important items that helped me graduate from “DD College”
1. Equipment and starter packer
– Sewing machine
– Glue gun
– Sewing Kit:
A box of pins
Marker or chalk
A thread unpick
I believe that inspiration can be found anywhere.
– Magazines (my favourite Magazine: True Love, Glamour, ELLE, Seventeen)
– Festivals (now festivals are the places to draw inspiration, you find all kind of people with different dress code, mind set. aaaaaaa Just imagine all the inspirations that surrounds you at that stage)
– Nature (trees, flowers, mountains etc)
– Communication (talking to friends and brainstorming)
3. Jot your ideas
– It’s always good to write down an idea somewhere. When you have found an inspiring DIY project to do, jot it down in your journal and plan: what material are you going need, how much will it cost, where will you get the material from etc. When you have jotted down a draft sketch of the DIY project it will be easier to know what the end product of the project will look like and what are the necessary materials that need to be bought.
Collect as many cheap materials as you can get. The best place you get cheap DIY material is the flea markets, the fabric shops, the Good Will, yard sales, china town*lol, you can find anything at china town*.
P.S. BUY IN BULK.
5. TIME and PLANNING
I believe we have covered what we need to be a professional DD. Now, that we have the ingredients in order we need to look at the most important factors: TIME and PLANNING.
Make TIME. Make time for all your projects so that you are able to finish them and don’t have unfinished projects.
PLAN PLAN PLAN. When you fail to plan, you plan to fail. As simple as that.
Please note: IF YOU WOULD LIKE US TO FEATURE YOUR DIY PROJECTS JUST EMAIL US.
*fashion with a purpose*